Wow!! Two of the most famous bikes on two wheels in the world…
Ace Face (Sting)… customised Vespa GS/Rally scooter.
- This now fully restored scooter had been previously acquired by David Wyburn from Allstyles Scooters in Portsmouth. As is well known and documented within scooter clubs throughout Britain they had acquired and previously owned both Ace Face and Jimmy’s scooters following the release of the film back in 1979
- A total of some of four customised Vespa GS/Rally scooters had been made for use in the film – built by Ron Pymm of Stirling Scooters in London. These were to be used in various scenes including of course the climatic cliff top crash at the end of the film. The two scooters used in this scene were obviously destroyed on the rocks below.
- It is still believed that there is one other of these scooters still in existence today owned by a Jim Baxter in Scotland, though badly damaged and in poor condition. Believed to be in bits requiring welding, major repair, rebuilding and re-spraying. This partly remaining scooter has no accessories or wing mirrors at all was offered to David Wyburn at a cost of some £10k for spare parts.. This scooter had in fact been badly crashed and smashed up during filming.
- The Ace Face scooter seen here on display is the highly prized and acclaimed one used and ridden throughout the film by both Ace Face and Jimmy, was the one stolen by Jimmy from outside the Grand Hotel, Brighton… being the workplace of Ace Face as a bell-boy for the hotel…much to Jimmy’s displeasure.
Jimmy’s (Phil Daniels) Lambretta Scooter
- The scooter seen here on display has been entirely rebuilt and restored… being a 100% accurate replica of one of the two used and ridden throughout the film. This, with additional extras on her from the original scooters used … acquired from Allstyles Scooters.
- For those of you who have seen this great British film you will no doubt recall and remember that Jimmy’s scooter was in fact crushed and written off by a Post Office van in the film. (remember Jimmy’s heartfelt plea- “You killed my scooter”)
- The original seta from Jimmy’s scooter is also here on display.
- Jimmy’s lambretta scooter used throughout the film was in fact hires from one of the film extras for the sum of £300 per week (a lot of money back then!!).
Other Quadrophenia exhibits on display include:
- A superb array of authentic autographed photographs, film still, posters and memorabilia signed by the star cast of the film
- Original film script, signed by it’s director Franc Roddam
- Parkas and clothing as worn in the film.
- Jimmy’s key ring (RAC) as used when stealing Ace Face’s scooter.
- Rare, signed Quadrophenia albums
- And many more items of interest.
Andy Jones (Curator & Jailer!) sitting on Sting's Vespa GS/Rally scooter used in Quadrophenia.